Friday, October 24, 2008

Well, no Indian Summer here yet, lol, but it has warmed up to a balmy 41 degrees today. But, it's still dark, dismal, and cloudy with a prediction of 100% chance of rain tomorrow and Sunday. Sigh. Oh well. I guess that it's a good time to stay inside and stitch and TO BAKE COOKIES!! Here is a recipe that is great for the fall days like this with a very seasonal ingredient.... PUMPKIN!! I got this recipe from my Aunt Lucille many years ago now and I still love them, and her, lol.

Oh, update on "Blue"!! She is doing just fine, but hasn't uttered as much as a churp yet. I guess she is waiting for her new name before she talks to me. LOL. You still have the rest of today, tomorrow, and Sunday to help me pick her name!! Do you have any friends who would like a pattern to stitch?? Tell them to enter too. The more the merrier!! OK... No, I didn't forget. Here are the cookies!!

Pumpkin Cookies

2 ½ C. Flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Nutmeg
¼ tsp. Ginger
1 tsp. Cinnamon

1 C. Shortening
1 ½ C Sugar
3 Eggs
1 Cup Canned Pumpkin (not Pie filling)
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. Lemon Extract
1 C. Raisins
½ C. Chopped nuts

Topping
¼ C. Sugar
¼ tsp. Cinnamon

Sift together first 6 ingredients. Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs, pumpkin, vanilla, and lemon extract. Blend well & add dry sifted ingredients. Add raisins, nuts, and mix well. Chill. Drop by tsp. onto well greased cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork (dip fork in water to avoid sticking.)

Mix topping and sprinkle on each cookie

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Debra said...

Oh My - they sound wonderful! Thanks!

The Gathering Room said...

these do sound yummy..thanks..going to make some!